Thursday, October 16, 2008

Feel Your Boobies!!


Ladies, (and Gents for that matter)
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I'm sure you have all realized this by now, and hopefully some of you are wearing ribbons, buying products that fund raise for the cure, and feeling yourselves up on a regular basis.
I thought I would chime in with a few more suggestions.
Have you heard of Army of Women?
Army of Women.org is a website attempting to sign up 1 million women for studies about breast health. See, in the past, all studies have been conducted on women who are already sick. And while that gives rise to amazing treatment options and possibilities for cure research, it doesn't help us learn about how to prevent breast cancer.
A lot of the studies are held in major cities, but some have mail in kits, so you can get all the materials in the mail and send it in. I signed up, and now get an email when a study comes up that I qualify for.
Props to Starla for bringing it to my attention.
Also, There are untold number of events going on this month. Bake sales, marathons, fundraising parties. Get involved with one of those...make some boobies cupcakes...you know I would.

I am taking this year as a time to find out about these things, and to get ready and train for next year. My mom and I will be walking in the Relay for Life this year, if everything goes well, and we'd love more team mates. Also, I am thinking next year of walking the Komen for the Cure walk, which is 3 days, and 60 miles. I will need all of your love, support, and fundraising help.

This cause suddenly means a lot to me, for obvious reasons. While my mom may have had to give up her boobs for her health, I don't intend to follow her down that path. Take care of your health, ask your insurance if they cover testing for the breast cancer gene. Find out if you are having the best breast exams for your tissue type. Pay attention to your risk factors, and be an advocate for your own safety.
There are only 15 days left in October. What can you accomplish?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Props to me!

seriously, I hope everyone will sign up at their web site :)

Bekah said...

nice post! I posted something similar a while ago, I never understood why more women arent gung ho about preventing breast cancer!

and your comment on my site...

he did not! holy crap a guy actually said that to you!?!?! Unbelievable!

Jason & Michelle said...

Thanks so much for the suggestion about the "turkey" cake pops! That's a terrific idea! I can't wait to try it! :)